As a teacher, I have had many different mentors. Three stick out in my mind. Two examples of great mentors and one that was not so great.
When I did my student teaching, I was assigned to a person that I really did not click with. I remember the very first day I was assigned to him I had a bad feeling. However, I did come away with a few things. First, he taught me never to discipline a student when you are angry (or at least try not to look that way and put a smile on your face). In addition, he taught me to use Popsicle sticks to write the students names on and to draw them out of a jar instead of calling on students with raised hands. This keeps them all engaged in the lesson. Finally, he taught me how not to give constructive criticism. His criticism always made me cry. I do not think he was trying to mean, I just do not think he knew how to tactful.
When I began teaching at the school, I teach at now right after college Kim became my unofficial mentor. She was on my same teaching team and has a lot of experience. Even though I am on my 6th year teaching, I still go to her for advice about teaching. She has been so helpful and I have learned the most from her.
Finally, my mom is a principal and she has been like a mentor for me in education too. I always go to her for advice. She gives me advice how to deal with sticky situations or lesson ideas. I am lucky to have my mom be able to help me.
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment