Thursday, September 3, 2009

In the past two years, I have participated in many different adult technology education training. First, the school that I teach at required every teacher two years ago to go through all these technology training classes to make sure that we were on the level of at least an eighth grader in technology. At the same time, I was attending the Technology Specialist Institute at Region 10. I went once a month for the entire school day to learn how to incorporate technology more into my curriculum in that two-year program. Then I was supposed to come back and teach it to the staff. However, I have never been asked to do that. Finally, since the spring I have been taking Master Technology Teacher courses at SMU.
The courses that I took at my school to make sure that I was as digitally literate as an eighth grader had three purposes in my opinion. The purposes were to encourage continuous growth and development of individuals, to prepare people for current and future work opportunities, and to adapt to change. This is because if a teacher or any working professional is not digitally literate then they are not able to compete in the 21st century. The positive thing about this program is that it really helped teachers who needed the extra help. However, I would consider myself a digital native so I was incredibly bored. The planner of this program needed to see what needs there were in the group.
The program that I went through at Region 10 also had the same purposes as the above. It was different from the other though because it went beyond basic technology and was for people that wanted to learn even more. This was a great experience. I learned a lot and had fun. I also liked how the facilitator of the program used our time wisely. Which I think is important in these types of programs. I do not think you should drag something out that does not need to be!
The program that I am currently involved in is preparing me to become a Master Technology Teacher. This program has the same purposes, but I would also say that its purpose is to provide opportunities to examine and foster change related to societal and global issues. Master Technology Teachers assist teachers in reaching the needs of the learners of today, which are global and societal issues. So far, I have had a very positive experience with this one as well. The activities that we have done have been useful for me. I also feel like my time is being used wisely.
Overall, I have had positive experiences with technology training. Reflecting on my experiences as the trainee helps me think about important things when I may become the trainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment