I know I wrote a lot about this in my case study, but I want to discuss the topic of my case study in a more informal fashion. Research shows that teachers should provide students with an authentic task and an authentic audience in order to increase the students’ motivation and overall performance. However, research also shows that many teachers are not doing this. I personally think it is for two reasons, the teachers are being lazy and they are stuck in their old ways. I think if teachers read the research about the benefits of this they would do it. Also, if they’re given ideas then they’ll do it. So, here are some ideas of how to provide an authentic audience for students:
• Blogs
• Class website
• Class wikispace
• Letters to community member
• Student e-mail accounts so that they can e-mail e-pals or an expert
• Pen-pals
• Class presentations
• Science fairs
• Science contests
• “Books in Action” nights
• Writing contest
• Writing letters to an editor of a local newspaper
Finally, if you’re interested in reading a summary of the research, check out my case study that I posted on this blog. I’ve also included the citations if you want to read all the research articles that I discussed.
Sunday, November 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment